Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Off to the Ball!!


I know I've already posted once today for the Tuesdays together, but I can't let today go by without wishing my Marine a happy Birthday!! Today is the 234th birthday of the U.S. Marine Corps.

Friday the 6th was my birthday, and saturday was the annual Marine Corps Birthday Ball. Yesterday was the one year anniversary of my husband's homecoming from Iraq. And with veterans day fast approaching I'm feeling a bit patriotic. Fall is my favorite time of year, but now this time of year holds even more special meaning. Ironically the Birthday Ball holds an extra special meaning, as our very first extravagant date was to the Ball many many years ago. I will spare you the picture from THAT ball but you can imagine that we look the same if you want. Subtract 11 years, several dress sizes, and different ranking, and we look pretty much the same.

Some Marines celebrate their first birthday in the field with a piece of pound cake from an MRE (meals ready to eat) and others depending on where they are stationed, celebrate with much pomp and circumstance. By tradition, the cake is cut and pieces are presented to the guest speaker then to the oldest and then to the youngest marine. This is one of my favorite parts of the ceremony. The introduction of the youngest marine always, ALWAYS brings about a collective gasp amongst the guests attending the ceremony. This years marine was born in may of 1990. I was in college. He is just a kid and technically I am old enough to be his mother. He is somebody's baby. And always will be.

So, if you see any Marines this week be sure to wish them a Happy Birthday! Remember them in your prayers. I am so thankful for anyone who chooses to serve their country in our armed forces, but I am especially thankful for our marines of Mike Battery 3/14!!

Happy Birthday!!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you all had fun at the ball! I am thankful for your husband and all those others I know who have or who are currently serving our country...

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete