Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tuesdays Together

A few weeks ago, I experienced a week of work that really tested my limits. I wound up working 5 days in a row! Now before you say "huh??" keep in mind that nurses do not generally work 5 days in a row, unless you work the 7 on 7 off kind of schedule, but those are usually 8 hour shifts. I should clarify, nurses who work the floor or 12 hour shifts in recovery do not usually work 5 days in a row. Well, I did. I found myself signed up for 2 days on the floor and 3 days on the outpatient surgical unit. These are the two units I work, but I usually do not work more than 3 days a week, and occasionally four. Not including the driving in and out, I worked 4 ten hour, and 1 nine hour shift. The week was sandwiched between two weekends packed full of activities. I was tired, I was weary weary weary!! I felt discouraged about half way through, thinking that I had lost my edge, feeling very old and wondering "why did I sign up for this again?". My housework suffered, my connections with my husband and child suffered. But I knew it was temporary and did my best to plow on through.

Getting up pretty early is part of this working routine. In order to be clocked in by 6,7, or 7:30 I often leave the house before any one else is up. I must hit hwy 280 before a certain time in order to catch the best traffic window. This sometimes puts me at work early. I have started bringing my bible with me in my car, so that I can have my quiet time in the parking deck. I like to read at night, but sometimes when you are soooo tired, it just doesn't happen. Anyway, during my week of 5's I found the Lord especially sweet to me. It put a little pep back into my spirit and my step. I happened to be reading in Thessalonians 1 and 2. I won't rewrite the whole 2 books but if you go there and read, you will most likely see what I saw--or maybe something entirely different--that IS the beauty of the Living Word of God. It was certainly timely.

Lord's words to me:
Hard work pays off.
Be gentle.
Be a model so that others might believe.
Thank God continually.
Endure, inspire hope.
Encourage one another, build up.
Respect those over you.
Live in peace with each other.
Be patient, joyful and thankful.
Pray continually.
Hold onto the good, avoid evil.
Relief is coming.
Do not be deceived.
Do not be a busybody.
Never tire of doing what is right.

May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our father, who loved us and by His grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word. 2 Thess. 2:16

I am called to be a nurse, and also a wife and mother. My callings affects lives. I work hard at these callings. Balancing those takes diligence. My husband and I have also felt led to become debt free. We are working diligently to accomplish this goal and have been for some time. For a time, I could pick up zero shifts, this really slowed us down. Now that I am being offered more than I can handle, we are finding our way to progress. Our Lord has always been faithful to us in dry and plentiful times, this does not change. He is faithful. He is always on time. His Sweet words do not change. His strength does not change. My parking deck time with the Lord was precious............ and did I mention timely? :)

May YOU find encouragement from the Lord's words today. Blessings!!

3 comments:

  1. This was SUCH an encouraging post! it was exactly what I needed today. Isn't it a wonderful feeling to know that you are doing exactly what you KNOW you are supposed to be doing! That is how I felt fighting fire.

    I haven't been doing much Bible reading in a while...your post inspired me to pick it up today. Thank You!!

    Have a wonderful day......Good luck with your "Debt Free" goal. That is a huge challenge but the results can only be positive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this post, Meredith! I am tired tonight and weary... trying to continue trusting as I know God has a plan in it all, but struggling to find balance between work and family. I'm frustrated at being away from my family so very much over the last month and knowing it could and probably will happen again before year end. I KNOW God has a plan and I KNOW that trusting Him will lead to the light at the end of the rainbow. But, tired and weary tonight it is so very hard. This post reminded me of God's lovingkindness and rewards He promises us... thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just now catching up on your blog posts and all I can say is what a blessing and inspiration. Thank you for sharing this, it is such an encouragement.
    Love You,
    Vicki Pounders

    ReplyDelete